Rewiring a commercial property is inconvenient. Understandably, it is not always cost-effective, making it something property owners are less inclined to invest in. However, rewiring your commercial property is something that could save your investment and the lives of those inside down the road.

Commercial buildings are susceptible to the same deterioration and corrosion as any other type of property. There tends to be much more of a demand for electrical currents based on the type of business inside as compared to residential properties. For example, high-tech medical offices that use large electrical equipment will need more secure wiring than an office that is less reliant on these types of energy sources.

When Should You Consider Rewiring Your Commercial Property?

Electrical fires and explosions due to faulty wiring are avoidable if you know what to look out for. Here are the five signs you shouldn’t ignore when it comes to replacing your electrical wiring:

1. Commercial properties over 40 years old

Outdated wiring is a common problem with older commercial buildings. This is especially prevalent if, during the initial wiring, shortcuts were taken, cheaper materials were used or other quality-sparing measures were taken. 

In addition, the types of materials used decades ago are often a problem for the demands of modern office buildings. For example, aluminum wiring was a popular alternative to copper wiring during the ’60s and ’70s. However, aluminum goes through cycles of expanding and contracting based on hot and cold temperatures, resulting in less secure connections. 

2. Burning odor

Detecting any type of burning smell near electrical switches or outlets is a likely indicator of an electrical short. A burning odor is a telltale sign of bad wiring in your commercial property. You should stop using the switch or outlet immediately after detection. Turn off any circuit breakers connected to that part of the property and contact a licensed electrician right away. 

3. Lights flicker

Lights that begin to flicker or dim and brighten repeatedly are problematic. This is often the most noticeable sign that your wiring needs to be looked at. If your light bulbs are securely connected and you’re still experiencing this issue, there could be loose electrical wiring which may result in a fire.

4. Faulty circuit breakers

Circuit breakers trip as a built-in safety measure to prevent overheating. However, consistent tripping of circuit breakers means there may be excessive currents that your breaker panel is unable to manage. 

5. Outlets sparking

If you notice sparks when plugging something into an outlet, then you have a potentially dangerous situation on your hands. Sparking outlets are usually signs of short-circuiting from too much heat accumulation within the outlets. If left untreated, you could experience melted insulation or fires. 

The objects you plug into a sparking outlet might become hot from the heat buildup within the outlet, showing you something is wrong. Avoid an electrical fire by having your wiring checked right away.

The good news is that you have the chance to notice these signs and stop them before they become a real issue. Get professional help immediately if you suspect your commercial property has old or faulty wiring.

Call B&D Industries for All Your Electrical Needs

For more than 65 years, B&D has worked tirelessly to provide residents and commercial properties in the Southwest with a wide range of services to keep their homes and businesses running smoothly. We are the go-to for residential and commercial electrical repairs and are here to assist you.

Call us at 505-299-4464 to book an appointment today!