Dealing with a clogged shower drain can be frustrating. But, there’s no need to worry! By using simple techniques and a little patience, you can easily unclog your shower drain and get it back to working smoothly. In this guide, we’ll walk you through some effective methods to tackle this common household nuisance.
Identifying the Problem With the Shower Drain and How to Solve It
Before jumping into the unclogging process, it’s crucial to identify the cause of the blockage. Common culprits for clogged shower drains include hair, soap residue, and mineral deposits. Hair is the primary offender, as it tends to accumulate over time, trapping other debris and forming a stubborn mass that restricts water flow.
Once you’ve identified the problem, you can choose the most suitable method to tackle it and determine what supplies you may need.
- The Boiling Water Method
If the clog is caused by soap scum or grease buildup, the boiling water method can work wonders. Here’s how to do it:
- Boil a large pot of water on your stove.
- Carefully pour the boiling water directly into the drain in two to three stages, allowing it to work for a few seconds between each pour.
- The hot water will help dissolve and dislodge the soap and grease, allowing it to flow down the pipe.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This method might not be suitable for PVC pipes, as boiling water could damage them. Stick to using this method for metal or older pipes.
- The Baking Soda and Vinegar Method
Baking soda and vinegar are common household ingredients that, when combined, create a potent natural cleaning solution. This method is effective for breaking down organic clogs.
- Start by removing excess water from the shower stall and dry the drain area.
- Pour the baking soda into the drain.
- Follow it up with the white vinegar. You’ll notice a fizzy reaction, which is the solution working to break down the clog.
- Cover the drain with a drain cover or stopper to prevent the mixture from bubbling out.
- Leave the baking soda and vinegar in the drain for about 30 minutes.
- Boil water and carefully pour it down the drain to flush out the loosened clog.
- The Plunger Method
Yes, plungers are not just for toilets! They are also often effective for unclogging shower drains. For this method, you’ll need a standard rubber plunger (cup plunger) and some water in the shower stall.
- Ensure there’s enough water in the shower stall to cover the bottom of the plunger.
- Place the plunger over the drain, ensuring a tight seal.
- Vigorously plunge up and down for about 20-30 seconds.
- Lift the plunger quickly to break the seal.
- Repeat the process if necessary until the water starts to flow freely down the drain.
- The Plumbing Snake/Auger Method
For more stubborn clogs, a plumbing snake or auger may be your best friend. This tool is useful for breaking up and removing tougher blockages. While you can find plumbing snakes at most hardware stores, it is recommended to contact professionals for help. However, if you have experience, here are some steps on how to use it:
- Insert the plumbing snake into the drain until you feel resistance.
- Rotate the snake’s handle clockwise while pushing it further into the drain. The snake will catch onto the clog.
- Carefully pull back the snake, bringing the clog with it.
- Run hot water down the drain to flush out any remaining debris.
Preventing Future Clogs
Prevention is always better than a cure when it comes to clogged shower drains. Here are some tips to avoid future blockages:
- Schedule preventative maintenance with local professionals.
- Install a drain cover or strainer to catch hair and debris before they enter the drain.
- Regularly clean the drain cover or strainer.
- Avoid pouring grease or oil down the drain.
- Once a month, perform a preventive maintenance procedure using the baking soda and vinegar method described earlier.
By following these simple steps and making them a part of your regular home maintenance routine, you can say goodbye to the hassles of a clogged shower drain. Remember, patience and prevention are the keys to keeping your shower drain clear and keeping any stressful mishaps out of the way!
Call B&D Industries for all Your Plumbing Needs
B&D Industries, Inc. has been servicing residential, commercial, and industrial properties with specialized expertise for over 68 years. During that time, we’ve grown exponentially and now reach areas of New Mexico, Arizona, and New York. Our quality of services and exceptional customer experience set us apart from our competitors as we strive to change the industry one project and one relationship at a time.
When you call B&D Industries, Inc. you can rest assured knowing that your home’s HVAC appliances, plumbing, security, and electrical systems are in good hands. Our licensed technicians are dedicated to working with you to ensure your home is up-to-code and functioning properly.
We ensure you get the best 24-hour emergency services at the most affordable rates. Contact us today!