Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. Since it has no smell, no color, or taste; it can be hard to detect when there’s been a leak. This results in dangerous concentrations of gas building up in our homes and businesses leading to serious illness. 

As one of the premier heating and cooling companies in New Mexico, B&D Industries, Inc. are experts in fuel-burning appliances. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious problem and can lead to major health problems for the building\’s occupants. Read our article below and learn ways you will be able to detect a leak before it is too late. 

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

One simple solution to detecting leaks is by investing in a carbon monoxide detector. For property owners, it is just as essential as the smoke detector and should be placed near all your rooms. Additionally, it’s important to follow all of the manufacturer\’s directions, including how often the unit will need replacing. You should also only purchase detectors that have an Underwriters Laboratories certification to ensure you are purchasing a quality product. 

Aside from investing in a carbon monoxide detector, there are other ways you can spot possible leaks, such as:

  • Black, sooty marks on the front of gas fires
  • Heavy condensation build-up at the windowpane where your appliance is installed
  • Sooty or yellow/brown stains around boilers, stoves, or fires
  • Smoke build-up in rooms
  • Yellow flames coming from gas appliances
  • The pilot light blows out consistently
  • Solid fuel fires burn slower than usual

How Do You Prevent Carbon Monoxide Leaks?

While these are great ways to identify a gas leak, it’s imperative that you prevent them the best you can. As a property owner, it is your responsibility to ensure your home or business’s occupants are safe from potential poisoning. Some ways you can prevent this involves routine maintenance and inspections, for example:

  • Servicing your heating system, water heater, and other gas appliances, every year by a qualified technician
  • Avoid using portable flameless chemical heaters indoors
  • Buy gas appliances that carry the seal of approval of a national testing agency
  • Ensure your appliances are getting proper ventilation
  • Never use tape, gum, or other bonding agents to seal the vent pipe. This can make carbon monoxide build-up in your property
  • Never burn charcoal indoors as it can emit carbon monoxide
  • Avoid smoking inside your home

What are the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Do you think you’ve been experiencing a leak for some time and are starting to feel sick? You must see a doctor immediately before your condition worsens. But, how do you know you are experiencing poisoning? There are several signs and symptoms to watch out for, such as:

  • Slight headaches
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

Additionally, carbon monoxide poisoning can be particularly dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated as they won’t detect any issues. Without the proper care, people may experience irreversible brain damage and can even die before they realize there is a problem.

B&D Industries, Inc. is Your Go-To for Quality HVAC Solutions

At B&D, our qualified, certified team of expert technicians is dedicated to making sure your heating and cooling systems are working as efficiently as possible – all year long. We can provide you with all of the necessary maintenance needed to keep yours running smoothly, such as preventative maintenance and repair, refrigerated air, and 24/7 emergency service for whatever heating/cooling issue may arise.

Contact us today to speak to a member of our team or schedule an appointment online.